Telepaths are humans that can read minds of other humans. In "The Southern Vampire Mysteries", Telepaths can not only read minds of humans, they can also feel emotions of different creatures that are portrayed in their "brain signature":
Interactions With Other Species
- Vampires have a "hole" as their signature, where telepaths cannot read their mind. (Very rarely, however, Sookie picks up a few flashes of thought from vampires.)
- Weres and shifter signatures portray emotions or colors.
- Demons' signatures are compared to a buzzing sound or like the "static in a radio station".
- |Maenads' signatures are represented as an endless mystic chant.
- Fairies (and a few powerful witches) can block their minds from telepaths. Sookie refers to their mind as being "shielded".
Telepaths are rare to come across in the supernatural community. It was revealed in the book Dead Reckoning, that the power of telepathy was actually granted to a family lineage by a demon, however, only shows itself if the child born possesses a 'spark.'